Friday, May 14, 2010

Horses - they're in my genes

This has been a tough week. As it turns out, I'm really glad that I decided not to enter Fair Hill this weekend. My grandmother passed away a week ago today, on Friday. I just got back from a 24 hour trip to California for the services, and I'm definitely in no mind to be competing at Fair Hill this weekend. Some things just knock the wind out of you. This was one of those things.

I'm pretty sure I can blame my horse addiction on my Granny. She caught the horse bug as a kid, living on her parent's Michigan farm. The affliction was passed to my mom, who passed it to me. Incurable and wonderful. My mom told me that as a kid, my Granny saved her money for months and months to send away for some "horse training" books - which, apparently turned out to be nothing less than crap. She was heart-broken. But, undeterred to train her horse to do something neat, she just had to figure it out herself! He would bow, and climb up a rock. Not exactly dressage, but not too bad for a little girl without any help!

Below is a picture of my Granny on a horse when she was probably about 18 years old. Of course, I should yell at her for not wearing a helmet! But I suppose it wouldn't be fair to yell at her for something she did in the 1930's when helmets weren't exactly the "in" thing anyhow! But, I will give her credit - the lady looked good on a horse!


This next picture is of Decker, me & my Granny in about 1992, when my grandparents came out to Three Day Farm to watch me compete Decker in one of our first USCTA (pre-USEA) horse trials. It's always good to have fans!



And this last picture was taken in 2000 when my Granny and I took a trip to Egypt! I guess we never went horseback riding together, but we went camel riding across the desert. Well, actually, she went camel riding - I wouldn't describe mine as a "ride" - it was more like an epic battle between hairy camel beast and pissed off girl. I really don't know who won.

I'm hoping this weekend will put some wind back in my sails. The L'Apogee rep is coming out to the barn tomorrow to check out the fit of the NEW dressage saddle! And afterwards, I'm getting together with some fellow eventing fans to watch the Preakness and Rolex hi-lights show! AND on Sunday, Katchi and I are headed to a little jumper show with a student. I'm hoping this will be just the right mix of a low-key and fun weekend to jump start my enthusiasm again.
I miss you already, Granny.

No comments:

Post a Comment