Thursday, March 5, 2015

Introducing ... Barn Cats!

Several people have commented that I've "abandoned" my blog ... and I say, oh no, I just haven't had a chance to update it for a little while.  Then I pulled it up, and realized that little while was, oh, about 8 months ago!  I guess that counts as abandonment.

In those 8 months, I built a barn and brought some horses home.  Little things.  But this first blog back is all about the BARN CATS that now populate that barn!  Last fall, the horses moved into an almost finished barn, and 2 nights after the construction crews finally vacated, I was in the arena riding under the new arena lights, when I heard it ... meow!  Meow?!?!  I went nuts!  I started calling to my mom ... A CAT! A CAT! BRING CAT FOOD!  It didn't take much to coax her into the new Trevi Manor barn, and she looked close to starving.  We were desperate to make sure she liked the place and would stay with us ... the cat's no dummy.  She figured us out real quick.  And so, "November" (on account of her arrival month) became out first cat.

Over the next 2 months, we're pretty sure she gained 6 pounds ... making her about 3 pounds on arrival.  Good thing she found us --- this would have been a rough winter on a little starving kitty.  November has proven to be the most incredible barn cat (well, tackroom cat might be more honest) -- and the only trouble with November's arrival was that she put a complete halt on our plans to adopt multiple cats from the Howard County Cat Club (the shelter that held onto my house cat, Schmoe, for 4 years while he was waiting to find me!) ... my mom and I had been watching their site for months, just waiting for the construction to sufficiently end so the kitties wouldn't be terrorized and run away.  But when November turned up and laid claim to the barn, we were so afraid that new cats would run her off, so we were a one cat barn ... until 3 weeks ago, when we finally decided November is here to stay!  And, so Howard County Cat Club brought a delivery of cats!  There are now 3 barn cats (tackroom snoozers) residing at Trevi Manor ...  November's new friends, Sebastian and Butterfly, are truly incredible cats!  Sebastian climbs EVERYTHING, and Butterfly flits around the barn like she's floating on air.  They really seem to love it, and we certainly love having them!  Having the horses home has been incredible, but having my own team of barn cats is the best!  And, we have one more on the way ... a senior kitty named Daisy, also from Howard County Cat Club.  She's been waiting at the shelter for many years for the perfect home, so she will join us in the spring when the weather is a bit nicer (though, I don't know why we're waiting for that ... we already know she will be the queen of all the tackroom kitties and she will never have to step a dainty kitty paw into the barn if she prefers not!).
November ... upon arrival.  PLEASE, CAN I LIVE HERE???


November hunting inside a XC jump

November living the tackroom kitty dream.
And then Sebastian & Butterfly arrived in the tackroom too!

Butterfly says that being a barn cat is a tough job.
Oh look, a barn cat actually in the barn! Be brave little Butterfly!
Sebastian believes this barn was custom made for him!  We can't believe all the places he can go!
 
Sebastian doing the high wire walk.
Oh yes, that's Sebastian too.  Way up there in the window in the roof.  Getting up was easy, getting down, was ... not.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE barn cats! They are the best and it's fantastic you are able to adopt so many.

    p.s. Yes, your barn looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super cool blog!! I just liked it's horses stuff. Horse Saddles For Sale

    ReplyDelete