Sunday, September 11, 2011

(Wet) Ducks in a Row

Getting your ducks in a row. I love that saying! It's like the type-A, obsessive compulsive version of herding cats (or kittens!) - not good enough to just herd them, you gotta get them in a row! This week, I've gotten quite a few of my ducks in a row - despite the ridiculous rain and flooding - which I've spent way too much time driving in!

First up... Katchi update. We've been doing some remedial training on oxer-one stride-oxer combinations, and I have full intentions of making it to XC at Marlborough next weekend! We also got our collective butts kicked by Silva Martin on Wednesday. We've missed far too many lessons with her this summer, but this lesson covered some serious ground - mostly in counter canter! And on Thursday, Katchi and I braved the flooded beltway back and forth to The Plains where Katchi had his full check-up with Dr. Allen at Virginia Equine Imaging. All systems go! And, so, exciting news... I've submitted my entry for a Training Three Day... at the Kentucky Horse Park!! I cannot tell you how excited I am! At Loch Moy this summer, an old friend, Erin, from Phillip Dutton's 2009 camp put the idea into my head - why not do the 3-day at the Horse Park?!?! She's doing the Prelim Three Day, so we could help each other out! I couldn't stop thinking about doing roads and tracks around the Horse Park, meandering around the Rolex fences! I love Waredaca, but I just couldn't resist Kentucky! And the really fun part is that Kerry is going to take Atticus to run the Novice horse trial, and my old student, Amanda (who now lives in Tenessee) will also be there with her new horse. PARTY!

So, the three day preparation begins! I can do the dressage, I can get Katchi fit for the endurance day, we "can" do the show jumping - but, what about the jogs? Shit, that means fashion?!?! To help me out, my mom went through every Burghley jog outfit and gave me the following rules:
1. My outfit must work with Katchi's color. I may not clash with him!
2. No grey.
3. No yellow.
4. Only Mary King looked good in white pants. I'm not Mary King.
5. The shorter the skirt, the lamer the horse (my mom didn't discover this - it's just an eventing truth). Katchi better be sound, because I'm not wearing a short skirt!

Okay, great. Off to the mall. Ugh. Guess I better change out of my riding clothes and take a shower before I venture to the land of teeney-boppers and normal people. I can't remember the last time I was at a mall.

Just to prove why I'm so stressed about this fashion thing - check me out in 1994 at my CCN*...


Okay, mid-90's, floral thing (understandable, if not acceptable), hair a bit blond but not big (remember, I come from Texas - not big was a huge achievement!), shoulder pads (let me repeat, mid-90's), hum...


And then you see it - white socks and penny loafers?!?! SERIOUSLY?!?! Shoes. I will win in the shoe department in 2011!

Today, I got even more ducks in a row, by finally doing something I've been trying to fit into my schedule for years. After a very full day of teaching yesterday, I managed to keep my Sunday schedule open enough to do a little pre-event help at Rosaryville Park! I broke a rake. Ooops. But, I also identified a few trees that might poke my eye out next Saturday, and I would like to assure all Prelim riders that those pokey limbs have been appropriately dealt with! At the end of our work session, I told Diane, "well, the footing is good, except where it isn't." She laughed at me. But, really - considering the massive flooding just down the road, the park is in pretty good shape. And with the exception of the still running river that the (slightly) Prelim and (mostly) Training courses have to cross, the footing isn't so bad. And I hear gravel is on order. Please, please, no more rain this week. And I also have it on good authority that the scary as hell Training Trakehner from last year is going to be gentled a bit! See, pre-event volunteering has its perks! They're also still looking for some help on competition weekend, so be sure to contact them if you can help out.






And the last bit of this week's ducks in a row... oh, my crystal ball... let me wipe today's rain drops off you, so I can see... is there something long, white, powerful, and beautiful in my future? Does his name begin with an F??

Will you be mine? Maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment